London Southend is international airport, which is the forth on popularity and busyness. Long time it was the third-busiest airport after Heathrow and Gatwick. But at the end of 1970-th Stansted became London’s third airport and Southend went a step down. But it doesn’t mean that it has worse service. On the contrary it provides perfect service and maintains plenty of directions.
Southend began existing during First World War. It was only a flying base at first. In 1935 Southend Council purchased it and officially opened for civil and business aviation. Since 2008 Stobart Group has owned airport and redeveloped it in perfect way.
Southend is situated in 42 miles from the London Centre in Rochford, Essex.
Southend airport postcode is SS2 6YF.
Destinations and partner airlines
Southend mainly provides passenger, business, cargo and charter flights. It works with lots of major airline companies:
1. EasyJet – the largest airline company in United Kingdom which cooperated with Southend since 2012. It organize flights to Alicante (Spain), Amsterdam (Holland), Barcelona (Spain), Berlin (Germany), Faro (Portugal), Geneva (Switzerland), Ibiza (Spain), Malaga (Spain), Majorca (Spain), Tenerife, Venice (Italy).
2. Adria airways – Slovenian national company. It provides flights from London Southend to Maribor (Slovenia).
3. Flybe – famous British low cost airline company. It offers flights to Caen (France),Groningen (Netherlands), Munster-Osnabruck (Germany), Rennes (France). It affords daily flights with great service.
4. SkyWork airlines – great Switzerland company which provides destinations from Southend Airport to Bern (Switzerland).
5. Transun – Lapland tour operator which offers trips to see Santa and Northern Lights.
6. Thomson provides holiday packages to Majorca once a week.
The most popular destinations from Southend Airport are:
1. Jersey (Channel Islands) – 4 flights a week.
2. Tenerife (Canary Islands) – 2 flights a week.
3. Lapland (Finland).
4. Caen (Normandy) – 6 flights a week.
5. Rennes (France).
6. Berlin (Germany) – 4 flights a week.
7. Faro (Portugal) – 10 flights a week.
Airport has only one terminal but it’s acceptable for more than 1 million people (2014). It’s never crowded whether on land or in sky. It’s closed at night but if there’re flights’ delays terminal is available for customers.
Car parking in Southend
The best way to leave car in Southend is to pre-book parking place. 3 long stay parks and one short stay car park are available for passengers. Only 2-3 minutes are needed to get to the terminal from any park. Parking in Southend Airport guarantees security and safety to your car.
How to get to Southend
There are several ways to get to the airport:
1. By bus. There are 7 bus routes which can take you to different parts of London and suburbs: Rochford, Rayleigh, Eastwood, Town Centre, Shoeburyness and others.
2. By rail. Southend railway station was developed in 2011 and offers 8 different trains every hour. London Southend Airport train affords you to get to Liverpool Street in 53 minutes. You need only 44 minutes to get to Stratford Station. Rail is cheap and safe way to get to London Centre quickly.
3. Car hire. Airport cooperates with two major rental car companies Hertz and Europcars. They provide only reliable, safe and fast cars for acceptable price. To drive to London you should join A127, A13 and A12 roads which can carry you to City Centre approximately in 1 hour.
1. Southend has convenient check-up which opens mainly 2 hours before scheduled time of departure. Each air company advices maximum size and weight of your luggage.
2. Holiday Inn Southend. Hotel was completed in 2012 and has 129 cozy rooms where tourists can stay waiting for their flight. There are bar and restaurant on the roof of the building where customers can enjoy fascinating views of airport.
3. There are plenty of cafés and restaurants on airport territory: Stobart First Class Lounge, Lakers Bar and Arnolds; Forbes Café where tourists can find great variety of alcoholic and soft beverages and taste delicious dishes from chef.
4. Southend proposes several shops with large range of cosmetics, gifts, handbags and perfumes with 20 % discount.
Southend Airport, Southend on Sea Essex
+44 1702 538500